Be grateful for everything you have, keep your head held high, search for the bright side of things, and let go of the negative. Life is too short not to spend every second as happy as you can possibly be.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mom's 70th Birthday Party Decorations






My sweet Momma! She doesn't look 70 does she?? 
My mom is turning 70 this summer and I've taken it upon myself to throw her a "PAR-TAY"! I am having a blast crafting and creating all of the little details. I think that my husband thinks I'm crazy because of the amount of time I spend each weekend cooped up in my craft room making things. To me it's very therapeutic to create beautiful things that will make others smile.

As I'm creating things for my mom's party I just keep thinking of how special she'll feel when she sees how fantastic her party is and how much love went into every little detail.  Yeah I could go to a party store and buy most of this stuff and some of those things may even look better than the ones I've created, but I wouldn't have nearly as much fun!              

                                        
I bought these letters at Joann Fabric's and had plans of wrapping them in yarn like so many of the precious little letters I found on Pinterest. Well...I tried the yarn thing and FAILED miserably. I tried a "W" for our last name as a practice letter and I ended up using 1 1/2 spools of yarn and it looked ridiculous. So I went with a much simpler, but still fun covering for the letters for my mom....scrapbook paper! I only had one patterned red paper so I had to cover both Ns with plain red, but I actually think it turned out OK.
This is one small J that I plan on using on one of the tables. Like I said the yarn was difficult for me and I'm not overly pleased with the results but the J was much easier than the W. I can't even post the W because it is so embarrassing :)



Then I used my Cricut and cut out these flowers to create cupcake toppers. ( I realize that those are blueberry muffins- but I didn't have cupcakes on hand for the photo op! And yes I also realize that one of those muffins are burnt!) The flowers are 2" and 1 1/2" and then I just used tiny brads to hold them together. My plan is to use green icing on the cupcakes and create a sort of "garden". The theme I'm going with is garden/flowers/picnic..with a aqua and red color scheme.


I recently became obsessed with burlap. It is so cute and easy to work with. These are banners that I plan on hanging on the food and dessert tables. I just cut out letters on my Cricut and used the outlines as a stencil to paint the letters. I tried to string each triangle on a piece of twine (the Happy Birthday banner) but I almost lost my sanity trying to keep it on the string while hanging it...so I opted for colored clothespins to hang the others so I can easily place them where I want them.
I have some burlap left over (even red!) and I'm trying to find some fun uses for it. I'd like to use it for table runners or maybe I could create some flowers.

I will keep you updated on the party progress...and I'll definitely post pictures from the actual party. I can't wait till my mom sees everything put together!

1 comment:

  1. Great job!! I think it's hilarious we used the same theme for our blogs...we really are kindred souls!

    ReplyDelete